I am a postdoctoral researcher at the Institute for Formal Methods and Verification at the Johannes Kepler University Linz. My current research topic is parallelizing SAT-solving. I am primarily motivated by making usable tools for scientific calculations, in particular model checking, and studying better algorithms for scientific problems. I obtained my PhD (thesis) in the Formal Methods and Tools group at the University of Twente, where I studied parallel decision diagrams algorithms.
Furthermore I have hobbies, such as engaging in politics, surfing on reddit, playing computer games, and various obvious other interests like eating tasty food and watching decent movies.
Institute for Formal Methods and Verification
Johannes Kepler University Linz
E-mail: tom dot vandijk at jku dot at.
Room: Science Park 3, section 2D
- High-Performance Tools for Science
- Symbolic Model Checking using Parallel Decision Diagrams
- Satisfiability Solving
- Parallel Algorithms and Data Structures
- Formal Methods, Verification, and Model Checking
- Parity games
-  Tom van Dijk, Robert Wille and Robert Meolic, Tagged BDDs: Combining reduction rules from different decision diagram types, FMCAD 2017, Accepted.
-  Wytse Oortwijn, Tom van Dijk and Jaco van de Pol. Distributed Binary Decision Diagrams for Symbolic Reachability, SPIN 2017, Best paper award.
-  Tom van Dijk and Jaco van de Pol, Multi-Core Symbolic Bisimulation Minimisation, STTT special issue invited paper, Submitted.
-  Tom van Dijk and Jaco van de Pol, Sylvan: Multi-core Framework for Decision Diagrams, STTT special issue invited paper (October 2016) [DOI]
-  Tom van Dijk and Jaco van de Pol, Multi-Core Symbolic Bisimulation Minimisation, TACAS 2016, Eindhoven, Netherlands (April 2016) [DOI]
-  Tom van Dijk, Ernst Moritz Hahn, David N. Jansen, Yong Li, Thomas Neele, Mariëlle Stoelinga, Andrea Turrini, and Lijun Zhang, A Comparative Study of BDD Packages for Probabilistic Symbolic Model Checking, SETTA 2015, Nanjing, China (November 2015) [DOI]
-  Wytse Oortwijn, Tom van Dijk and Jaco van de Pol, A Distributed Hash Table for Shared Memory, Parallel Processing and Applied Mathematics (September 2015)
-  Tom van Dijk and Jaco van de Pol, Sylvan: Multi-core Decision Diagrams, TACAS 2015, London, UK (April 2015) [DOI]
-  Gijs Kant, Alfons Laarman, Jeroen Meijer, Jaco van de Pol, Stefan Blom and Tom van Dijk, LTSmin: High-Performance, Language-Independent Model Checking, TACAS 2015, London, UK (April 2015) [DOI]
-  Tom van Dijk and Jaco van de Pol, Lace: Non-blocking Split Deque for Work-Stealing, 7th Intl Workshop on Multi/many-Core Computing Systems, Porto, Portugal (August 2014) [DOI]
-  Tom van Dijk, Alfons Laarman and Jaco van de Pol, Multi-core and/or Symbolic Model Checking, invited paper to AVOCS 2012, Bamberg, Germany (September 2012) [DOI]
-  Tom van Dijk, Alfons Laarman and Jaco van de Pol, Multi-Core BDD Operations for Symbolic Reachability, 11th Intl Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Methods in verifiCation, PDMC 2012, London, UK (September 2012) [DOI]
-  Sylvan: Multi-core Decision Diagrams, PhD Thesis, University of Twente, July 2016
-  The parallelization of binary decision diagram operations for model checking, M.Sc. Thesis (cum laude), University of Twente, April 2012
Awarded an honorary mention (2nd place) of the Dutch national M&I Informatie Scriptieprijs 2012.
-  Analysing And Improving Hash Table Performance, B.Sc. Thesis, University of Twente, 2010
- Sylvan – A multi-core implementation of decision diagrams.
- Lace – Work-stealing framework.
- SigrefMC – Symbolic bisimulation minimisation for LTS, CTMC and IMC systems.
- From 2000 to 2003, I developed a number of game modification programs in Visual C++ to customize the computer game The Sims. One of these programs was published and sold worldwide by Abacus under the name Career Creator Pro.
- Two consecutive projects involving high-speed real-time sensor controller software in C for a R&D project of Scangineers/ScanPoint, a company that developed Self Service Checkouts. I was the (only) software developer in this project.
- Secretary of the board (2006-2007) of the student association VGST.
- Chairman (2012-2013) of the Jonge Democraten Twente, the regional department of the Jonge Democraten, a political youth organisation associated with the national party D66.
- As part of a volunteer team, I’ve worked on several web development projects for the Jonge Democraten, see my GitHub.
- As a member of both the Economy and the Sustainability study groups of the Jonge Democraten, I helped organize a national symposium (“Duurzaam denken & duurzaam ondernemen”, January 2015) on environmental sustainability in business, in which I managed technical aspects and organized several speakers.
- As part of the international volunteer organization Crusaders of Honor, I participated in defending Azeroth from many foes, including the demise of the demon Archimonde in Mythic difficulty on March 3rd 2016.